I can’t even believe that I am writing this post, but I need to write it for me. You have to understand that I am the girl that views food as a huge source of happiness – mac n cheese, pop tarts, ice cream, PIZZA…Basically anything that a 12 year old likes, is what I like to eat. Diets in the past have lasted 2-3 days or pretty much at the first sign of temptation.
My “lightbulb” moment actually happened when my friend Renee told me she was doing the paleo diet. Now I had heard of this diet but it never seemed achievable to me because the premise is no processed foods, no diary and no grains. Umm excuse me? What the hell am I supposed to eat then?! But when my friend who likes sweets and carbs just as much as I do was actually doing it and losing weight quickly, I was intrigued. I remember thinking to myself, “well if she can do it, maybe I can do it”.
I had been hovering somewhere around 170 lbs. since I had Sophie – actually that’s what I weighed at my first Dr.’s appointment after I found out I was pregnant and about 6 weeks after having Sophie, I weighed that again. So I had been hanging out at that weight for 3 plus years, but I was just never really able to lose any more weight. Not that I was trying super hard but I cleaned up my eating a little but never really lost more than like 6-8 lbs. and as soon as I ate “normal” again I gained it all back.
Now that you know the backstory and all about my love of junk food, let me explain what I did:
Mid-April I bit the bullet and changed my diet. After hearing several people close to me talking about the paleo diet, I gave it a try. I think I lost 5 lbs in the first week! Now granted much of that was water weight but it was a boost to my confidence to actually be losing some weight quickly. I also have to mention that in addition to eating much better, I started doing Hot Yoga 2-4 nights a week! I absolutely fell in love with it – and I think this is key. I hate the gym and I don’t like activities where I feel like people are judging me or looking at me. Yoga at night (after bedtime duties) in a candlelit room was the perfect solution for me.
I don’t want to make it sound like what I did was rocket science because its not. It’s the same shit that everyone says to do – eat clean, eat multiple times a day so you don’t get hungry, add in some exercise and don’t eat late at night. But here are some things that helped me:
- meal planning – the less you think about what you are going to eat, the less likely you are to make bad decisions
- pack a ton of food/ snacks for work (the more stuff you have for when you get hungry the better)
- don’t go to a restaurant until you are a couple weeks in and feel more able to withstand temptations – i.e. chips and salsa on the table
- if you have a sweet tooth like me, find some paleo friendly recipes for your sweet tooth (see my paleo pancake recipe here)
- find something to do at night when you would usually watch tv and munch on anything and everything
- go to bed early with a book
- go to a late exercise class
- if you have to snack maybe get an apple with almond butter
So this is what I did to lose 25 lbs. from April to September. Now granted I had some cheats along the way but I stuck to it for the most part and I looks better and feel so much better.